To save an image to your PC, click on the image to open in a new window, then right click on image and save.
Be sure to read the
Terms of Use and Copyright pages in the top right column of this blog.

Friday, October 21, 2011

Introducing Fairy Tale Friday - The Robber Kitten

 
The Robber Kitten, copyright 1891, a rare and unusual fairy tale originally written by the beloved Robert Michael Ballantyne in 1858 under the pseudonym "Comus", introduces Fairy Tale Fridays on Vintage Catnip. Fairy Tale Fridays will include fairy tales, nursery rhymes, short stories for children and so on, in serial form. 



The Robber Kitten is a funny and violent tale probably only for us adults to enjoy now, as acceptable fairy tales in our current times are sanitized to bland mediocrity by comparison. I adored fairy tales as a child, and I was reading the old style tales filled with evil, murder, mystery, and abuse. Bluebeard scared the, ah, daylights, out of me, and yet I reread it countless times. Those were the days, sigh.  Anywaay,  I hope you enjoy The Robber Kitten - he is one baaad cat. 



3 comments:

  1. Thank you, this is wonderful! Will collect these for my great-nephew (will turn 1 yr next month).
    xoxo
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. how fun! Glad I stumbled upon your site

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been DESPERATELY searching for images for a cat-theater-themed shadow box I'm making. I have entered every search term I can think of, and finally "vintage catnip" brought me to you, and these images, WHICH ARE FREAKING BRILLIANT AND PERFECT FOR MY ART PROJECT!!! I can't tell you how ecstatic I am to have found your site and these images! Thank you SO much for gathering them!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are important to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...