To save an image to your PC, click on the image to open in a new window, then right click on image and save.
Be sure to read the
Terms of Use and Copyright pages in the top right column of this blog.

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Free Vintage Clip Art - Alphabet Book

I found this oversized early 20th century children's book in a Medford, Oregon, USA antique store. Titled Yo Sabre Leer (I Know How to Read), it was printed in Paris, France by the printing house of Paul Dupont, published by Casa Editorial Garnier Hermanos in Paris, and rubber stamped by the R. Caminos library in San Salvador, Central America. How in the world it came to be in an antique store in Medford, Oregon, USA will forever remain a mystery!  The title page below indicates it was written Por Un Papa (by a pope!?!), according to Google translation for Spanish. The book is filled with illustrations by the French artist Robert Salles (1871-1929). There is no copyright indicated, so I must rely on the artist's death plus 70 years to put copyright expiration at the end of 1999, in accordance with French copyright law. If you have any additional information or corrections, please let me know.

 The cover is rubbed and worn, so I digitally repaired several areas of the boy's face.




I'll be posting more images from this book in the future.

11 comments:

  1. thank you so much - what an interesting story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for these fabulous images...
    My Spanish is not too good but as far as I understand, the title could mean "for a daddy", and it´s probably more likely that a father teaches his children the ABC than the pope... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous - thank you for your comment. I thought "pope" was highly unlikely myself, but, after all, I googled it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. so lovely images ! thank you Kathy !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathy,
    I've just discovered your little house and I adore it. It's just amazing !!!
    I am Spanish and I confirm you that the correct translation for "Papá" is "Dad", as Anonymous said. Thank you so much for that, it has meant a lot for me as I really love antique books...
    Besos ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mille mercis pour ces magnifiques images !!!thank you so much !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the picture of the little boy in the red hat! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol, the title means "I will know how to read" and it was written Por un papa: BY a father. All said, I LOVE these! Thanks for posting them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Un libro precioso y la calidad de las imagenes ... magnifica. Muchas gracias por compartirlas, Creo que va a ser mi próximo mini-libro, es muy interesante para mí que esté escrito en español. "For a daddy" es la traducción correcta como ya te han dicho. Mariajo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the spanish version of the original french edition "je saurai lire" by Robert Salles. Edition Garnier. There is another title: "je sais lire" - I know how to read by the same other.

    Thank you for sharing. really kind.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are important to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...